Saturday, September 24, 2016

From Moo to Steak: Growing A Farmer book reflection



Gross, that’s my first impression... I never really thought about where my food came from until I started reading Growing a Farmer by Kurt Timmermeister. The first half of the book follows Timmermeister’s journey in detail about how he started his farm: his attempts on different generating profit from different products, his problems, and his failures. The second half of the book goes focuses more on how animals are slaughtered and butchered.  So if you do not want to know how animals are killed for consumption or (if you are like me) is very visual, I would skip over chapter 11-13.  The last few chapters conclude with the condition of his farm now: he gains most of his profit from artisan cheese, hosts farm dinners, and are able to produce everything that he and his guests consume.


However, while the amount of detail provided in the last few chapters did catch me by surprise, it did change my perception of food. I have a new found respect for farmers and all the work they have to put in. It also helped me recognize the luxury I have.  When I want a piece of steak, I can walk down the street to the grocery store and choose what piece I want from nice and clean packaged boxes. I do not have to deal with the struggle of taking the life of an animal, cutting it up, and cleaning it.

No comments:

Post a Comment