Sunday, November 6, 2016

The Blue Sweater - Part 2

The more I read the more I admire Jacqueline Novogratz. In chapters 9-15 of her book The Blue Sweater: Bridging the Gap between Rich and Poor in an Interconnected World, Novogratz returns to Rwanda and continues her journey on helping people in poverty through social enterprises instead of non-profits such as those funded by UNICEF as well as how she founded the Acumen Fund. What stood out to me was when Novogratz stated that the philanthropic sector was changing, and that the word philanthropy itself "felt outdated" - something I am beginning to notice too through many social enterprises today such as Biolite or Terracycle. Like Novogratz, I believe that traditional charities are not sustainable due to the lack of resources invested (whether that be money or knowledgable staff to run it), and that by investing in entrepreneurs with great ideas to improve the world, will lead to a greater change and improvement in society.

Reading the last few chapters also reminded me of the kind spirit people could have. Despite the fact that she did have several unpleasant run in with locals, there were also those that treated her as one of their own. It reminded me of the time I spent in Cambodia where I was working with a organization called Tabitha for a year. Tabitha helps rural villages in Cambodia become self sufficient by putting them through a program where they:
1) Build their own well to start a farm
2) Sell the produce they grow and have enough money to buy farm animals
3) Make enough money to build houses instead of huts
4) Eventually move further into civilization and start more businesses to become self sufficient
I had the honor to help a village go through step 1 to 3, and as a result, I got to know many of the villagers really well. I still remember how on the first day I arrived, they wanted to share all their food with me despite of having barely anything to eat themselves. Reading Novogratz's experience just really reminded me of how through all the violence and corruption, people can be good.

While I found Novogratz's experience on how to set up sustainable and efficient financial structures for loans to be extremely interesting, I found myself awed by the level of perseverance, bravery, and commitment she had. Novogratz was physically assaulted and robbed on while running on the beach not too long after she returned to Rwanda, and instead of retreating back to a comfortable life in New York,  she kept herself composed and instead talked about "the economic conditions that would prompt young men to attack women". In addition to that, Novogratz was also disregarded by many of her co-workers, and suffered through the pain and loss after the Rwanda genocide where she lost many of her friends. With all that Novogratz has been through, she has really become one of my role models and what the definition of persistency.

6 comments:

  1. I also admire Jacqueline for not running back to her comfortable life in New York, especially after the robbery. She stayed determined to change things in the countries she was in. I also see her as a role model who possess a great level of perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a love hate relationship with Jacqueline after finish this book. While on one hand I applaud her perseverance, mindset, accomplishments etc, I stand critical because I think she avoided some important aspects to her and the Acumen fund's success. The same success required to enable these people from poverty--funding,--the Acumen fund was successful through this too. While this doesn't discredit the work she has done, and what Acumen stands for, she ignores the fact that Acumen came to fruition vis-a-via how Acumen works to change the world--through funding an innovative concept that changes the world. Not everyone has the ability to do that. And while she alludes to all the positives, and we can take from and admire her, she forgets a bit of the dark side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you pointed out the fact that the word "philanthropy" and even charity are now outdated. Giving money to people of course helps them but creates a dependency that leaves them vulnerable. I like how now social enterprises are trying to involve those who need the most help in actually being part of the change. I also really liked reading about your experience in Cambodia. It really is great seeing that there are incredibly humble and good people who enjoy their lives despite being facing difficult situations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your experience with the organization you were talking above is awesome! I did something similar when I went to Armenia for a month. I was rebuilding schools in Armenian villages, and it was such a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really respect your experiences with the organization in Cambodia to help build farms, selling produce, and build houses. They're so nice to share the food they barely had. It really shows how they care about everyone. I would love to go to Cambodia and other developing countries to help in anyway in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your experience in Cambodia! Jacqueline's story must resonate with you on a whole different level. There's much more merit in "walking the walk" than just "talking the talk", demonstrated by Jacqueline and you!

    ReplyDelete